Steel: Green Now, Green Forever
AIA Course Number: GSD08A - 1 AIA HSW CE Hour and/or 1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals
Learn about the sustainable advantages of building with steel. Discover how specifying steel can contribute to LEED credits as well as compliance with International Green Construction Code (IGCC) requirements.
- Explain basic steel production, the role of recycled steel in this process, and the environmental benefits
- Describe construction products made from recycled steel and the advantages of steel construction, including doors and frames
- Discuss the features and applications of steel doors and frames
- List LEED credits available when building with steel
- Describe the integration of the International Green Construction Code (IGCC)
Steel Doors and Frames 101
AIA Course Number: SDI08A - 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
Covers everything you need to know about steel doors and frames. Design professionals will learn how to choose doors with the ideal blend of cost, performance, and appearance for their projects.
- Describe the various components of steel doors and frames
- Explain the basics of fire rated openings and how to avoid negating a rating
- Discuss the performance levels of doors, and how to avoid over- or under-specifying doors’ gauges
- Describe the importance of hinge and strike locations, including the importance of proper reinforcement
- List the types of specialty doors that are available and the general performance capabilities of each.
Fire Rated Door Assemblies: Compliant Designs
AIA Course Number: SDI08C - 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
This one hour course teaches the essentials of fire rated doors, frames, and hardware. Ensure your fire rated openings are compliant by learning about the applicable codes, requirements, and design considerations.
- Identify the common locations of fire doors
- Discuss NFPA 80 requirements with regard to bolts, fasteners and other hardware, clearance and undercut, stops, and more
- Discuss the significance of fire labels and their role in construction of fire rated assemblies
- Describe the most common design considerations including door elevations, louvers, Dutch doors and the applicable fire codes
- Specify the proper hardware for various types of fire rated assemblies
Protect People and Property by Specifying Secure Doors and Frames
AIA Course Number: SDI08D - 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
Every type of building requires protection against forced entry – and doors & frames are the first line of defense. Learn about finding the “just right” amount of security for your building projects and how to specify the doors and frames.
- Describe the different motives for forced entry
- List door assembly capabilities that reduce the risk of forced entry
- Learn the standards that can be specified to ensure a certain level of protection
- Understand the potential life safety risks of security gadgets, such as barricades
Specialty Steel Doors: A Primer on Acoustic, Tornado, Stainless Steel, and More
AIA Course Number: SDI08B - 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
The strength of steel doors and frames offers unparalleled performance and protection. Available in stainless steel and faux finishes, they can add a stunning design element too. This course covers what you need to know about the variety of specialty steel doors that are available.
- Describe the primary types of specialty steel doors with regard to their characteristics and performance
- Explain the ratings used in specifying these doors, such as STC, BR levels, and more
- Discuss the options for stainless steel finishes and how certain finishes can lead to a cleaner environment
- Understand which specialty steel doors are a good fit for various applications